Apr 6, 2011

Sound-Off: Rihanna's 'T.M.I.' Description of Sex Life

by Jamilah-Asali I. Lemieux
In the new Rolling Stone, Rihanna offers an extremely revealing look at her sex life (and at her amazing body... what's in that Barbados water and how can I import some?). In addition to a few predictable questions about her former abuser, Chris Brown, and her upcoming role in the "Battleship" film adaptation, the 22-year-old singer gave a few details about her fetishes and desires that have started tongues to wagging and men to salivating.

Here she describes the autobiographical tone of her single "S&M":

"Being submissive in the bedroom is really fun," she says. "You get to be a little lady, to have somebody be macho and in charge of your s**t. That's fun to me... I like to be spanked. Being tied up is fun. I like to keep it spontaneous. Sometimes whips and chains can be overly planned -- you gotta stop, get the whip from the drawer downstairs. I'd rather have him use his hands."

Oh. Well now. Good to know if I'm ever over Rihanna's house and planning on trying to seduce her.

Don't get me wrong. I'm hardly conservative when it comes to sexuality and I fully support Rihanna's right to be grown and free with hers. However, I can't help but wonder why we were given such personal details... and why via Rolling Stone? Isn't this material more fitting for a women's magazine, where ladies come together to share sex tips and dish on what we like to do in the bedroom? Here, it feels like it was deliberately offered to titillate readers and provide fantasy fodder. Or to keep her name on the blogs. Or all of the above.

Between the article, the body baring photos and the singer's recent Vogue appearance (dressed in a sheer frock that is a bit more provocative than what we are used to seeing on cover models), it just seems like the "RIHANNA IS SEXY AND WILD" memo is being pushed a little bit too hard. I can't help but feel like her camp's attempts to avoid a victim characterization in the wake of the 2009 Grammy night incident have rendered her some sort of sexual object. And it again begs the question: why are Black women in the media so often required to be either hypersexual or asexual? MORE ....


No comments: